Friday, July 3, 2009

Top 5 Stocks for July

Top Stock 2 – Apollo (APOL)

Apollo Group (APOL) is a point of great debate, but I am sticking to my guns on this one. I take literally a dozen of questions every week about this stock's gyrations, but my answer is always a resounding "buy" for APOL.

You see, Apollo Group is one of those famous "zig zag" stocks that tends to do well on down market days and moves very differently from the overall stock market. This is because Apollo's University of Phoenix is the #1 private education provider in the nation and has seen booming enrollment as more Americans are laid off.

So as jobless claims make Wall Street grumpy, they also boost this stock. And that's the primary reason that I am recommending Apollo Group – because it helps to stabilize your portfolio on down days.

On top of that, the long-term unemployment picture is very grim. Overall unemployment rose by 787,000 in May to 14.5 million, so the unemployment rate rose from 8.9% to 9.4% to the highest rate in 26 years! Since many displaced workers will likely continue go back to school for retraining, I am confident this trend will pay off for Apollo.

No comments: